Maitreyi Das received her PhD in 2004 from the Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai in Biosciences under the guidance of Prof. P. J. Bhat. She then moved to Helsinki, Finland to study cell cycle in fission yeast in the lab of Prof. Tomi Makela. She continued her study of fission yeast in the lab of Prof. Fulvia Verde at the University of Miami where she studied cell shape control. She established her independent lab at the University of Tennessee in 2013 where she investigates the fundamental mechanisms that promote cytokinesis and polarized cell growth in the model system S. pombe (fission yeast). When not in the lab she loves to spend time with her husband and son. She likes to travel and explore different cuisines; and enjoys good music.
For her Interview in the BCMB 2014 Newsletter click here.
Ramnarain Ruia College, Mumbai University, India B.Sc, Microbiology -1996
M.S. University, Baroda, Gujarat, India M.Sc, Biochemistry -1998
Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai, India PhD, Biosciences -2004
University of Helsinki, Finland Post-doc, Cancer cell-cycle -2004-2006
University of Miami, Florida, USA Post-doc, Cell polarity -2006-2012
- Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Genome Science and Technology Program. 2014-Present
- Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Department of Biochemistry and Cellular and Molecular Biology. 2013-Present
- Assistant Scientist, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, with Dr. Fulvia Verde. July 2011-Dec 2012
- Post-Doctoral Associate, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, with Dr. Fulvia Verde. April 2006-June 2011
- Post-doctoral Fellow, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland, In the Cell Cycle Laboratory, Cancer Biology Program, under Prof. Tomi Makela. October 2004-March 2006
- Senior Research Fellow, Molecular Genetics Laboratory, School of Bioengineering and Biosciences, IIT, Bombay, under the guidance of Prof. P. J. Bhat. August 2000 – March 2004
- Junior Research Fellow, Molecular Genetics Laboratory, School of Biosciences and Bioengineering, IIT, Bombay. “Identification of Proteins Interacting with under the guidance of Prof. P. J. Bhat. July1998 – July 2000
- American Society for Cell Biology- Postdoctoral member since 2008
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society- Full Member since 2009
- New PI Slack- Membership advisory board since 2016
- BioRχiv– Affiliate since 2019
- Women in Cell Biology- Associate member since 2019
- PombeSlack- founding member since 2019
- NSF- MCB- 1616495 – Maitreyi Das (PI) with Steven Abel (Co-PI), 08/2016-07/2020 Title: Cytokinetic events that promote actomyosin ring constriction and septum formation. Amount: $868,000
- NSF- MRI- 1828300 – Andreas Nebenfuehr email@example.com (PI), Barry Bruce (Co-PI), Tessa Burch-Smith (Co-PI), Brian Long (Co-PI), Maitreyi Das (Co-PI), 10/1/2018-09/30/2021 Title: Acquisition of a transmission electron microscope (TEM) for soft materials for the Advanced Microscopy and Imaging Center (AMIC). Amount: $439,938
- NSF CAREER-1941367- Maitreyi Das (PI), 01/2020-12/2024. Title: CAREER: Spatiotemporal organization of cytokinetic events. Amount requested: $ 1,273,335
- NIH R01- 1R01GM136847-01, Maitreyi Das (PI), Tian Hong (Co-I) 03/2020- 02/2025. Title: Cell-cycle-dependent cell polarity control. Amount requested: $ 1,522,319
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, SARIF Equipment award. Maitreyi Das (PI). 2014. Title: A Quantitative Infrared Western Blot Detection System. Amount: $15,270
- NSF-EPSCoR, EPS-1004083 – Maitreyi Das (PI) with Steven Abel (Co-PI), 01/01/15-07/01/15. Title: Actomyosin Ring Dynamics at the Onset of Constriction. Amount: $20,000
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, 2019
- University of Georgia, Georgia, 2019
- High Point University, High Point, North Carolina, 2019
- University of North Carolina Charlotte, North Carolina, 2019
- Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC, 2017
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India, 2016.
- Indian Institute of scientific education and research, Pune, India, 2014.
- S. University, Baroda, India, 2014.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai, India, 2014.
- Department of Biology, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, February 2012.
- School of Biosciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai, India. January, 2007.
- The Department of Biochemistry, M.S. University of Baroda, India. January, 2007.
- International Fission Yeast Meeting, Barcelona, Spain, 2019
- International Fission yeast meeting, Banff, Canada, 2017.
- Gordon Research Conference, Plant and Microbial Cytoskeleton, Proctor Academy, NH, 2016.
- Cold Spring Harbor Cell Biology of the Yeasts Meeting, 2015.
- International Pombe meeting, Japan, Kobe, 2015.
- The American Society of Cell Biology Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, 2011.
- The Sixth International Fission yeast meeting, Boston, MA. June 2011.
- The Yeast Cell biology meeting, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY. August, 2009.
- North-American Fission Yeast Meeting, Los Angeles, June, 2008.
- The Yeast Cell biology meeting, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY. August, 2007.
- Department of Biochemistry & Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2019.
- ACS Cancer Symposium, UT medical center, Knoxville, 2014.
- Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, University of Miami, April 2009.
- Developmental biology group, Biology Department, University of Miami, May 2008.
- Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, University of Miami, February, 2007.